Florida man dies from infection after eating bad oyster

Florida man dies from infection after eating bad oyster

The 71-year-old died July 10 from a bacterial infection caused by the bacteria Vibrio vulnificus, reports the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

According to the Florida Department of Health, the man ate a bad oyster on July 8 and died two days later from a gastro-intestinal related illness.

The name of the restaurant where the man ate the oyster was not released.

If you are experiencing these symptoms and think you might have contracted this bacteria, the Florida Department of Health says to get medical help, WWSB reports. The county did not have any vibrio cases previous year but there were confirmed cases and one death in 2016.

Princess Eugenie copies Meghan Markle as her Royal Wedding details are revealed
In the case of Eugenie, who is the daughter or Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson , there's no need to wait for a nomination. As they say in royal circles: if it is not broke, one should not fix it.

While most Vibrio infections from oysters result in milder symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting, infections caused by Vibrio vulnificus can cause more severe illness, including bloodstream infections and severe blistering skin lesions.

They also should not enter the water with an open wound, but should wrap or protect any wounds before entering brackish sea water. And, anyone eating shellfish should make sure their food is thoroughly cooked. Individuals who exhibit symptoms after entering the water with open wounds or after eating raw shellfish are urged to see their doctor.

"Infections are rare but exposures occur more commonly during the summer months from May to October, when the water is warmer", department officials said in an email reply. "That's usually not the case when someone consumes the bacteria", Drennon said. "So far this year, there have been a total of 16 cases of Vibrio vulnificus statewide with three confirmed deaths". In 2017, there were two cases and also no fatalities.

Leon, Madison, Suwannee, Taylor, and Gadsden counties have had no confirmed cases of flesh eating bacteria.

Related Articles