Sydney bushfire still out of control and may have been deliberately lit

Sydney bushfire still out of control and may have been deliberately lit

New South Wales fire crews spent a second long night taking advantage of cooler conditions to back burn and protect homes in the Holsworthy area.

"And whilst the threat level has been downgraded to advice. there is still a lot of fire around".

More than 500 firefighters from the Rural Fire Service, Fire & Rescue NSW and the Australian Defence Force attempted to contain the blaze over the weekend with help from volunteers and 11 water-bombing helicopters.

The latest update from NSW RFS warned residents in Voyager Point, Pleasure Point, Sandy Point, Alfords Point, Barden Ridge, Illawong, Menai and Bangor to remain vigilant, as winds are expected to pick up throughout the day, which could increase the fire activity.

The RFS at 7am said the easing conditions had allowed firefighters to begin back burning along Heathcote Drive. "There were reported gusts of about 60 kilometres an hour so they'll be reduced", he said yesterday.

Morrison said there were still about 100 firefighters responding to the inferno, which they were finally bringing under control.

By 5pm, some Menai residents were starting to relax.

Many property owners stayed to protect their homes from spot fires - luckily no homes or lives were lost.

It's now burnt through more than 2400 hectares of land and come dangerously close to homes.

Kashmir child-rape incident: 2 BJP Ministers quit Mehbooba's cabinet
She said a sense of justice had been reinforced in the state and urged " New Delhi to wake up to the Kashmir cauldron". Pointing fingers at others while protecting its own was the character of the Congress party, he alleged.

"So I'm sure everyone's been out checking their roof, making sure everything's wetted down and keep an eye on those spot fires".

The fire resulted in hundreds of people being evacuated from their homes on Saturday evening with flames nearly reaching properties at Holsworthy and Wattle Grove and spot fires later threatening Sutherland and Menai.

The blaze was downgraded from emergency level to watch and act about 5.30pm on Sunday as conditions began to ease.

Fire is seen burning inside the Holsworthy Army Base on April 14, 2018 in Sydney, Australia.

"This huge blaze has been fought in very high temperatures, very high winds, unseasonal conditions, and has been done so in a way which has seen, to date, no injuries and no serious damage to property", Mr Turnbull said.

"As we say all the time, no one tolerates this in the community".

"It's certainly not the reprieve we're looking for", Mr Fitzsimmons said.

The RFS said there was very little rain forecast over the next few days across the fire ground and most parts of the state.

Related Articles